Friday 20 April 2012

I made it myself...

HOME-MADE HUMMUS

1 can chickpeas
1 tblspn tahini paste
2 tblspn lemon juice
3 tblspn olive oil
1 clove garlic^
pinch paprika

1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas well. Place in a food processor.

2. Chuck everything else in the food processor as well.

3. Process until you reach a smooth consistency. You will probably have to add more olive oil as you go. You may also need to stop processing and use a spatula to scrape down the sides.

4. Empty into a nice dish and top with another sprinkle of paprika.

**Notes
 - When we first started making and eating this, we weren't the biggest fans. We realised that we were missing the more sweet taste of store-bought hummus ie - sugar!! Now, this is so delicious, we couldn't go back :)
- I use the cheap Homebrand chickpeas and they are just fine. As for tahini, unhulled is better for you, but I think hulled actually has a nicer taste - not as strong. You'll find it in the health food section of the supermarket. (Sometimes in the spreads section too).
 - ^ Those of you who know me well know that I *clearly* wouldn't just put one clove of garlic in. I usually put 2 - 3 depending on how big they are. But I LOVE garlic, so add however much you like :)

2 comments:

  1. Absolutley a winner I now make my own and don't buy it thanks Miss Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries! Thank-you Lynda (I suspect this might be Mrs S??). Thanks for the lovely feedback :o)

    ReplyDelete